I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can always come to as you grow as a songwriter and seek to grow an online presence and audience. I’ll add to it as I learn more. Enjoy!
BLOGS / PODCASTS
- CMB – Christian Music Blog & Podcast – This is one of my favorite resources for Christian Songwriters. Very similar to writechristiansongs.com. The podcast offers awesome insights through interviews with both well-known and unknown songwriters.
- My Song in the Night – The blog of Bobby and Kristin Gilles. This is a regularly updated blog that “exists to help you express words of worship & testimony through songs & stories”
AUDIO AND VIDEO SOCIAL MEDIA
- YouTube – Arguably the most important online tool for songwriters interested in growing an audience
- Soundcloud – A great option for sharing your music online if you are not ready for video.
FULL FEATURE ARTIST SUPPORT
- BandCamp – I currently have my music store at Bandcamp.com. It’s free to sign up and it’s a great place to sell your music. You can set your own price.
- CD Baby – Currently don’t use but would highly consider in the future. CD Baby is in the business of helping independent musicians succeed in all avenues. of the business.
- TuneCore – I personally have used TuneCore and recommend it. This company delivers your music to iTunes, Amazon mp3 and dozens of other online distribution avenues.
- ReverbNation – A very popular and trusted platform for artists.
- NoiseTrade – A great place to give your music away and grow a fanbase
- Bandzoogle.com – “Band Websites that Work”
DIY ONLINE MARKETING
MUST HAVE tools if you are serious about growing an online audience
- WordPress.COM (hosted free at wordpress) – This is a great place to start a website. I first began at blogger.com but then switched to wordpress.com after a lot of research. This is free.
- WordPress.ORG (hosted on your paid hosting account) – This is what I currently use for all my websites. Hands down the most popular, powerful, and versatile web software online. It does require a hosting account (see next bullet)
- Bluehost – I host my website at Bluehost.com (about $60 a year for unlimited websites).
- Social Media (You know the ones!) YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
- Mailing List– one of your greatest assets whether you are building an audience online or offline
- Fanbridge – When I first became serious about growing an audience, I started out using Fanbridge.com, which offers email mailing list management as well as a growing number of unique features for musicians trying to grow a fan base.
- Mailchimp – This is one of the top email management services online and what I currently use to manage 3 separate lists. I’m using their free option which allows you to have up to 2,000 names on your list and email up to
- Tube Toolbox – I have used Tube Toolbox for many years. I owe my YouTube success to Tube Toolbox. It helped me grow my channel to over 3000 subscribers. I believe in it so much I created a website for it for others to learn about its capabilities. Learn more at www.tubetoolboxreview.com
- NEW! – I have a NEW secret weapon as of 2013 for YouTube marking: Tube Assist. Tube Assist is a new service from the same company who created Tube Toolbox. Tube Assist is automated video marketing – on the cloud 24/7. Learn more at www.tubeassistreview.com.